VAT and Spanish Ham: Frequently Asked Questions
How many people wonder about the rates of VAT on Spanish ham? What is the law about ham products and VAT? Is it different for shoulders and hams, or for other Iberico products? All your questions are answered below.
What's the law on VAT and Spanish ham?
The Spanish government is currently discussing reforms of the VAT rules that could seriously adversely affect the whole sector, and drive up VAT across the board. For now, though, the only rules you need to worry about are those dating from the last round of reforms in July 2012. These laid out the rules as they apply to meat products, including all Iberico ham and meat products.
VAT and Spanish ham
Currently, all pork products are subject to the same tax rate. This is laid out in the document (Spanish Language) 'BOE 312, Article 91,' published December 29, 2012. Ths sets a 10% rate of VAT on Spanish ham for both domestic and export purchases. Thus we can see that the VAT on Spanish ham, whether it's acorn-fed or recebo, shoulder or ham, cut or whole, is the same as that levied on all other foodstuffs in the same category.
This VAT on Spanish ham is the same in all EU countries, so whether you're buying from the Iberian peninsula or anywhere else in the EU, the rate will be the same. That's very positive for the expansion of the meat industry, with a level playing field across the EU. Iberico ham is the jewel in the crown of the EU's meat industry, and a VAT regume that enlarges its market helps everyone.
Thus the doors are open to put Iberico ham on British, French and German tables as well as Spanish ones. That can only be positive for increasing the prestige and renown of Spanish ham products, building a reputation across the continent for this delicacy.
However, the VAT rules don't put Spanish ham in a 'premium' category all by itself. Instead, it's in the same category as necessities and less prestigious products. This, too, is a positive step: not only does it lighten the burden on the purchaser, but it helps to cement in the minds of Europeans the idea that Spanish ham is a part of everyday life.
In the case of home delivery through Internet sales platforms, VAT is the same as any other purchase method. All that's required is to add the cost of transport, which is calculated based on distance and the weight of the package.
Overall, the percentage paid is smaller than that paid in a store or supermarket, so it's the best way for many of us to enjoy great Spanish ham, as it's more affordable and available over a wider area, with far greater efficiency and convenience.
All about ham
- 1 Types of Iberico Ham
- 2 How to Consume Iberico Ham
- 3 How to Cut Iberico Ham | Carve Iberico Ham
- 4 How to Preserve and Store Iberico Ham
- 5 Pairing of Iberico Ham
- 6 Quality Laws for Iberico Ham | The New Law 2014
- 7 The Dehesa | The Meadow
- 8 DOP Protected Source of Origin of Iberico Ham
- 9 Nutritional Properties of Acorn-fed Iberico Ham
- 10 Recipes with Spanish Ham
- 11 Differences Between Iberico Ham and Serrano Ham
- 12 Differences Between Shoulder and Iberico ham
- 13 Differences Between Iberico Ham and Iberico Shoulder
- 14 Iberico Ham and its Competitors Around the World
- 15 Nutritional Properties of Iberico Ham
- 16 Protected Denominations of Origin of Iberico Ham
- 17 Production Areas of Spanish Ham and Iberico Ham
- 18 Spanish Ham - Machine cut or Hand cut
- 19 Museums of Iberico Ham Worldwide
- 20 Inside Secrets of Iberico Ham Tasting
- 21 Tourist Trails for Iberico Ham Aficionados
- 22 Acorn-fed Iberico ham and the ideal pairing
- 23 The Production Process of Iberico Sausages
- 24 History of Iberico Sausages
- 25 VAT and Spanish Ham: Frequently Asked Questions
- 26 Spanish Ham in Great Spanish Literature
- 27 Curiosities of Iberico ham
- 28 How to Store Your Serrano Ham
- 29 Regulations and the Quality of Serrano Ham
- 30 Preparation of Serrano Ham
- 31 Denomination of Origin of Serrano Ham
- 32 Nutritional Properties of Serrano Ham
- 33 Recipes With Serrano Ham
- 34 Types of Serrano Ham
- 35 Pairing of Serrano Ham
- 36 How to Consume Serrano Ham
- 37 How to Cut Serrano Ham | Carve Serrano Ham
- 38 All the Secrets of Pata Negra Ham Tasting
- 39 Choosing a Good Ham Holder
- 40 What is the best para negra ham?
- 41 Is the term pata negra correct?
- 42 Pata Negra Ham and Pasture
- 43 The secrets of pairing pata negra ham
- 44 How can you know which ham to buy?
- 45 Why is good ham so expensive?
- 46 How to buy ham from online stores
- 47 Myths and Truths, Benefits and Prejudices of Ham
- 48 Is Iberian ham fattening?
- 49 What to do with the ham bone?
- 50 Why do we usually hang ham?
- 51 Ham and Pregnancy: Can Iberian ham be included in pregnant women's diets?
- 52 The Role of Ham in a Child's Growth and Develeopment
- 53 Tips for Preserving Ham
- 54 What is ham shaping and why is it done?
- 55 New Technologies and Ham - MRI in Ham Tasting - Spectral Images
- 56 The Iberian Pig Begins to Migrate
- 57 Cured Sausages: Origin, Composition and Classification
- 58 Production of Hams and Pork Shoulder Hams
- 59 Iberian Ham Tasting Guide
- 60 Quality: Differential Elements Between Ham and Iberico Cured Meats
- 61 The Map of Ham in Spain
- 62 Properties of the Fat in Iberian Ham
- 63 How to Transport Iberian Ham and Other Foods on International Flights
- 64 Prevalence of Pathogens and Benefits of Organic Acids in Pig Production